Tips to prepare for adverse weather and possible flooding
- Be aware of potential hazards around your home, work place, and travel paths.
- Stay away from flooding water.
- Be prepared for extended periods of power outages. Do not call 911 for power outages only for emergencies.
- The majority of fatalities associated with flash flooding are due to attempting to drive through standing water. Even shallow moving water can make tires a floatation device. 2 feet of water can float a 3000 lb car.
- Be extra cautious at night when it is harder to see flood dangers.
- Never walk through floodwaters; even 6 inches of rushing can sweep you away.
- Make a safety kit that contains a flashlight and extra batteries, battery powered weather radio, extra food, and water, first aid supplies, canned food and a can opener, water (three gallons per person).
For utility outages call 828-456-3706. After hours and on weekends call 828-456-5363.